The town of Mossel Bay is considered by the SA Government (appointed) Auditors as the 6th best Municipality across almost 180 Municipalities in South Africa. An audit across all Municipalities in South Africa is conducted annually. The audit consists of several categories eg finance, environment, governance, schooling, focus on disadvantaged communities, economic development etc.
- 2016 – National Greenest Town Competition, WINNER
- 2012 & 2015 – Runner-up Western Cape Greenest Municipality
- 2013 & 2014 – Western Cape Greenest Municipality WINNER. First Municipality to establish a Municipal Court.
- 2011 – Construct Largest desalination plant in South Africa
- 2015-2012 – 4 X consecutive clean audits
- 2015 – SA WINNER Centre of Excellence award for gender mainstreaming
- 2014 – Government report places Mossel Bay in Top 10 Municipalities in South Africa
- 2013 – SALGA Best Practice award for HIV, Gender, LED projects and social development
- 2013 – SADEC Gender Mainstreaming Leadership, WINNER