This store was built in 1786/7 to store grain brought in by the farmers until there was enough for a shipload. This saved them a 2-3 month trip by ox-wagon. The store was demolished in 1951 and then reconstructed in 1987 from original plans found in the Archives of the Castle, Cape Town.
The Ochre Barn was built in 1849 for Barry & Nephews. By 1865 it had been enlarged, and modernised from 2000-2007, which today is called the Protea Hotel – in Market street.